27 January 2011

Campfire Discussions: It's Real Love

I'm not usually one to watch American Idol. However, I did watch this clip that a friend posted on Facebook:


"I was about to make vows just two months from the accident. Through thick and thin, till death do us part, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse. What kind of guy would I be if I walked out when she needed me the most?"

My first thought after watching this was, holy crap, I want someone to care for me like that. I can hardly imagine seeing that kind of love. Then I thought, could I care for someone that way? If I were engaged and something tragic happened to my fiance, would I stick with him? Am I even there for my friends when they need me?

It's so simple to be selfish. It's so easy to be grumpy over little things and forget that other people have problems, too. I know because I struggle with this a lot. I want so badly to be there for my friends, but I also really want to serve myself. I want to help people, but I also want to get my own way - even in silly little things, like not wanting to listen to someone because my favorite song is on the radio.

So I guess my thought for today is, am I there for people because I love them, or am trying to be Christ-like, or because of what I get out of it?

Link here

- Scout





No comments: